Friday, January 29, 2010

The Help


If you have not yet read The Help, make it next on your list! It is the story of three women in 1960's Mississippi, Skeeter a recent college grad, and Aibileen and Minny, the "help" in the white families' homes. They want to change the way things are and get their own life stories out there, despite the danger it puts them in. It's a fantastic book and I can't recommend it enough. It was our December Book Club book and we didn't actually discuss it because not everyone had finished it, but since everyone has since finished it and is dying to discuss, it is our topic at our next Book Club meeting!!! It took several chapters to get into it, as I found it difficult to read at first due to the southern dialect--might be a good one to experience as an audiobook--but once I got used to it it was great! Enjoy! :)

2 comments:

Briar Rose said...

This is on my very long list along with the other one you posted. I'll be moving these up to the top now.

Briar Rose said...

Rachel -- I listened to this book on tape and the narrator was great!
Wonderful story - very eye opening.